Sunday, January 08, 2006

Chicks dig scars

pointless rambling post
So I was looking at my incision from a recent surgery and it made me think of what type of scar it will form. Then I started to look at some of the other scars I have. For instance, I have a few scars from my first collegiate bike race (I frequently race road bicycles, I'm even the mid-Atlantic region novice road race champ) where I slid out of a 180 degree turn at the bottom of a hill. Whenever I see the red blotches on my knee I always remember that race, and what a good time I had racing in the rain. I felt I showed some significant potential before the crash in a sport I had made some investment in (buying a bike) but was uncertain whether I would be talented enough to justify the expense. What's more I remember finishing in the top ten the very next day in a race most of my friends were unable to finish.

So I went looking for certain scars on my feet. I used to run 60-80 miles per week in high school, and nearly that much in grade school. At some point I began getting gnarly blisters on my feet, but I just kept running. As I continued to run the blisters eventually broke and left raw skin, and that skin just started wearing away into a bloody mess. For some reason I felt I had to get my miles in anyway. I had always got my best friends at the time running countless miles on end together. I guess I had goals and it seemed like a reasonable sacrifice to make for them. Anyway, I remember the mortification on the faces of the diners at this mcdonalds restaurant when I stopped in one during the middle of one of my runs, took of my shoes and socks, and used some of the free napkins to clean and dress the wounds. Needless to say, I had scars for quite a long time on my feet there. However, when I went looking for them today, I could hardly tell they were scars. It's too bad scars like that fade away. It was such a glorious time.

could be a new post
so, I always like showing scars because of the stories I can share afterwards. However I was thinking many of the girls I know don't like to see the scars. That made me question why people sometimes say, "chicks dig scars," particularly this girl on the cycling team. The best answer I can come up with is that they may find physical scars repulsive, but they LOVE (boys with at least) emotional scars. If a boy has some deep emotional scars, they can gush things like, "oh he's deep and moody and dark," or whatever. Consider another instance, the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets engaged, decides to break it off, and then has difficulty convincing future dates his mutual breakup story is true. As such he decides to tell everyone his fiance died unexpectedly and suddenly finds himself having tons of beautiful women attracted to him who would otherwise not be so. "chicks dig emotional scars" might also be used to explain why certian girl stories are so popular...
Why should this be? Perhaps girls like emotional scars because it gives them a reason to feel sympathy without being grossed out. Or maybe lots of girls are nuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home