Monday, January 16, 2006

It pays to return your library books on time

So in preparing to take the GRE (a test many graduate schools require for admission) I requested over interlibrary loan a bunch of GRE prep books, such as baron's, Princeton review, etc.

Unfortunately I have a history of returning books late, and one time I had checked out some interlibrary loan books and the librarian forgot to modify the due date in the computer, and since the umd system's loan length is 3-4 times as long as other libraries, I kept the ILL books many more months than the lender expected, despite many emails requesting their return since I was still using the books, and the "my account" page said I had no books due.

So I get the message that the books that I requested are in and go to the library. I'm thinking I'm lucky since the best looking librarian is working when I go in, and she always seems very friendly. So I approach and explain I have a few books on hold. She comes back with three books on how to prepare for the GRE, and one video, complete with spandex clad young women on the cover, titled something like "get the bottom you've always wanted." I looked at it and said I didn't want to check that out and added I didn't remember requesting it. She was really convinced.

I guess that was how the staff wanted to punish me for never returning anything on time. Nonetheless I think the librarian in question is still in love with me, just not as sure that she should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home