Wednesday, November 25, 2009

palm pre is the phone for outdoor extreme temperature use (I think)

I am thinking of getting a new cellphone, and palm pre is on my short list.  I was concerned about how well the phone would work if I were outside on a hot day say after a bike race or camping or whatever, and also on a cold day, say biking or camping or going to football games.  So I investigated by chatting with palm's tech support.  The absurdity is pasted unedited below for anyone who cares.   

10:23 PM Albert: Hi Cornelius.
10:24 PM Cornelius Griggs: Hi
10:24 PM Cornelius Griggs: I want to know about the operating temperature of the palm pre
10:24 PM Cornelius Griggs: and pixi
10:24 PM Cornelius Griggs: I know the iphone doesn't go that low
10:24 PM Cornelius Griggs: and it seems other phones don't as well
10:24 PM Albert: I can help you with the issue.
10:25 PM Albert: Yes it is normal temperature.
10:25 PM Cornelius Griggs: what do you mean by that?
10:25 PM Cornelius Griggs: could you quantify normal temperature?
10:26 PM Cornelius Griggs: I want to know how cold or hot the phone can get before it stops working
10:26 PM Cornelius Griggs: or the performance degrades
10:26 PM Albert: Sure I will help you with that.
10:26 PM Cornelius Griggs: will I be able to take it outside and use it on extremely hot or extremely cold days?
10:27 PM Albert:  Keep your battery away from direct sunlight and other sources of heat. Temperatures over 120 degrees Farenheit (50 degrees Celsius) can permanently reduce the capacity and life span of any lithium ion battery.
10:28 PM Albert: Please follow the link below which will help you know about the phone.


10:29 PM Cornelius Griggs: so what is the lowest temperature it can handle
10:29 PM Cornelius Griggs: it gets very cold here in the winter
10:30 PM Albert: Normal room temperature.
10:31 PM Cornelius Griggs: so it won't work at temperatures below normal room temperature?
10:31 PM Cornelius Griggs: I like to keep my house kind of cold
10:31 PM Cornelius Griggs: does that mean it won't work in my house?
10:31 PM Albert: Yes it will work.
10:32 PM Cornelius Griggs: but it's below normal room temperature
10:32 PM Cornelius Griggs: olive oil tends to solidify in my house
10:32 PM Cornelius Griggs: I really don't like to pay for the heat
10:32 PM Cornelius Griggs: do you think you could use a number?
10:33 PM Albert: It does not have any exact temperature.
10:35 PM Cornelius Griggs: but if I go to a football game in december it probably won't work
10:35 PM Albert: It works as your normal work with any temperature.
10:35 PM Albert: No it will work.
10:36 PM Cornelius Griggs: how about after a bike ride in feburary?
10:37 PM Albert: Yes it will work.
10:37 PM Cornelius Griggs: okay, I'm going to hold you to that
10:37 PM Albert: Here's the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID number 44563981. Keep this number as a record of this chat, and if you need to call our Phone Support team or contact us again for this same issue, please refer to this number.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home