Thursday, April 06, 2006

winding coils and transformers isn't for humans.

So I decided to try and wind a power transformer as my other ones are broken, and I don't have much to do at work with out one.  We have a nice coil winding machine which I thought would be nice to use.  After getting it all set up and glueing all the wires in place after winding I test to make sure the wire isn't broke, and plug one end into the wall and the other into the volt meter.  When I flip the switch I hear some buzzing and then my coil bursts into flames.  I look and see that the light on the soldering iron is still on so I know I haven't tripped the circuit breaker, so I un-plug the transformer and blow the fire out.  the leads turned from copper color to black, and the side of the volt meter got charred too.  As such, from now on, if possible I"m buying transformers and coils if I need them, unless I'm keen on seeing some fire works. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home