Thursday, November 15, 2012

reflective tape effectiveness

So I've been commuting by bike much of my life, and lately that has entailed traveling on the roads after dark.  While I have bright lights, I really like reflectors.  A bright light can run out of battery and/or be over powered by a car headlight.  On the other hand, at reasonable distances, retro reflective materials require no power and work quite well when light from the left headlight is incident upon a sample.  (Effective means make the bike more visible to car drivers.  A light source simply needs to be near the driver's eye and incident upon the reflector for this to work.)  For this reason, I like to have both lights and reflectors. However I don't like to have too many things hanging off my bike.  As such I've put together a partial solution with reflective tape.  

I've posted a pic comparing a daytime view to a nighttime view of my bike in which a flash was used.  I think the pic speaks for itself.  I have silver reflective tape (ANSI level 2, as I recall) in between the spokes on the wheels, and red reflective tape on the seat stays.  The red reflective tape can't be as bright as the silver, but I didn't want to mess up the aesthetics of the bike.   Let me know in the comments if there are any questions about what I did.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home